Summertime means one thing: spending time in the fresh outdoors. With summer in full bloom, citrus trees are yielding ripe fruits that lift our spirits and delight our senses. There is nothing we love more than smelling fresh citrus in the morning and feeling our feet sinking into the cool grass. Not only do citrus colors dazzle our hearts, it is also an incredible superfruit that has all sorts of amazing health benefits. Here are the top 5 reasons of why we love citrus.
- The Vitamin C found in citrus fruits such as oranges, lemons, limes and grapefruits have been linked to reduced risk of heart disease. It works by helping your body build collagen, which strengthens the blood vessel walls in your heart.
- Citrus is a great source of potassium, which is important for fluid regulation, mineral balance, and muscle contraction. Potassium also works to counter-regulate the amount of salt in your diet by helping your body flush out sodium. In with the good and out with the bad? Yes please!
- Eating plenty of water-rich foods such as citrus can help you stay hydrated, which is important for quenching your thirst as well as helping you consume enough fluids throughout the day to prevent dehydration and help the body's systems function properly. This means while you’re enjoying your weekend suntan or enjoying a nice job along the beach, citrus has you covered.
- When it comes to skin health, vitamin C (ascorbic acid) is right on top of the list of nutrients that you need to keep your skin looking young. Ascorbic acid is essential because it helps regenerate collagen, which maintains the elasticity of your skin. Better beauty, naturally!
- Citrus delivers tons of juicy flavor with little to no fat, sodium, or calories, making them extremely diet-friendly. What's more, research has linked low vitamin C blood levels to higher BMIs, waist circumference, and body fat percentage. Next time you pour yourself a refreshing glass of water, consider spritzing in some yummy citrus.